This one brings tears to my eyes.
From: Hanson, Mark
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2001 10:43 AM
To: All Users - Domestic
Subject: FW: With love from Oslo
We received this very touching message from the recently retired CFO of one
of the firm's clients. The letter was authored by a British woman who lived
in Houston with her Norwegian husband for many years.
It's almost midnight on Wednesday evening in Oslo, and I have just come home
from a walk down to the American Embassy, where I added my flowers and
candles to those already there. I'd like to describe it to you:
* A perfect evening, very dark, but lots of stars, around 60 degrees, not a
breath of wind.
* On one side of the street the embassy itself, where they were hard at work
adding a second row of concrete barriers.
* On the other side of the street, in front of the railings alongside the
palace grounds, a hundred yards or so of outpourings of sympathy from the
people of Oslo:
* Thousands of candles, all sizes, some standing alone, others arranged in
patterns - hearts, crosses, the letters USA.
* Bouquets of flowers of all kinds, from the simplest wildflowers to
* An exquisite wreath from the firefighters of Oslo.
* Norwegian and American flags
* Letters and cards in many languages. Messages of hope, love, sympathy -
* Children's paintings and drawings - some depictng the horror of the plane
about to hit the tower with childlike simplicity, others showing children on
their knees praying for God to give America comfort.
* A placard with the words "The Atlantic is a creek, our sympathy is an
oceen, America is the world."
* Many, many people of all ages, walking slowly, reading the cards and
letters, and adding their own contributions.
* Not a sound to be heard, except for that of people trying to control their
It was extraordinarily beautiful, and incredibly moving. I think it was the
utter silence that was the most powerful aspect. The silence of grief and
I thought you would like to know.
God bless you.
For more information about the full range of services offered by Vinson &
Elkins, including our latest publications on legal topics, please visit our
website at www.velaw.com.
The information in this email may be confidential and/or privileged. This
email is intended to be reviewed by only the individual or organization
named above. If you are not the intended recipient or an authorized
representative of the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
review, dissemination or copying of this email and its attachments, if any,
or the information contained herein is prohibited. If you have received
this email in error, please immediately notify the sender by return email
and delete this email from your system. Thank You